Demetrio Duarte, Jr.
Demetrio Duarte, Jr. became licensed in the state of Texas in 1984. In 1991 he became board certified in criminal law. His 30 + years of legal experience includes over 200 jury trials to verdict in state and federal court, which is why he is proud to call himself a “trial attorney.” Duarte's courtroom experience includes additional trials to the court or non-jury trials and countless pre-trial hearings.
In the past 30 years, Duarte has represented clients in the state of Florida, Tennessee, California, Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Mississippi and Virginia. His fluency in Spanish helps Duarte to assist many Spanish-speaking clients who find themselves needing legal representation. Prior to opening his own office, Duarte worked as a prosecutor with the Bexar County District Attorney’s office. It is this very experience, which has helped him see both sides of every case, and earn the respect of his prosecutor peers.
2220 Warner Ave
San Antonio, TX 78201
Tel: (210) 737-6676
Fax: (210) 733-6181
St. Mary’s University, B.A. in History, Magna Cum Laude – 1980
Honors: Phi Alpha Theta Historical Honor Society
Dean’s List 1978, 1979, 1980
University of Texas at Austin School of Law, Juris Doctor – 1983
Honors: W.J. McKie Law Scholarship Recipient
1983 Jaycees Outstanding Young Man of America Award
American Journal of Criminal Law Editorial Staff
State Bar of Texas: May 11, 1984
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Criminal Law – December 1991
United States District Courts:
- Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Central District of Illinois
- Western District of Michigan
Courts of Appeals:
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
United States Tax Court
Texas State Board of Insurance:
- Licensed Escrow Officer 2002 – 2012
Texas Estates Code Guardianship Certification, February 12, 2016
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Contributing Author: The San Antonio Defender, January/February, 2011 Issue, “Ten Tips for Voir Dire”
- Mexican American Bar Association, SA Chapter – “How the New Open Carry Law Can Affect You and Your Clients” – 2016
- San Antonio Bar Association, County Courts Committee, “Civil and Criminal Barratry Consequences” – 2016
- State Bar of Texas Webcast, “The Civil, Criminal and Ethical Consequences of a Barratry Allegation” – 2016
- Mexican American Bar Association, SA Chapter, “Preparing for Trial in a Criminal Case” – 2012
- Children’s Court Advocacy Conference, Las Vegas, NV, “Effective Trial Preparation” – 2012
- Training Session presented to Escrow officers for Fidelity Title Insurance Company in San Antonio, Texas, “Closing Basics for Escrow Officers” – 2004
- SACDLA Meeting – “The Ten Commandments to The Ethical Practice of Criminal Law” – 2002
- Conference of National Association of Credit Managers Creditor Rights In Bankruptcy – 1989
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Listed by the National Trial Lawyers as one of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
Listed by TopVerdict for having one of the top 100 Verdicts in Texas in 2016 for $217,564.00 in Wright v. Dwyer, M.D. medical malpractice case.
Listed by Texas Monthly Magazine in September 2011, June 2016, and August 2018 issues as a Texas “Super Lawyer.”
Listed in March 2011 Texas Jury Verdict (www.jvra.com) for $6,104,418.00 verdict in fraudulent conveyance case.
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating. Currently Rated BV Distinguished (Very High Rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards).
Listed in San Antonio Scene Magazine as one of San Antonio’s Top 30 DWI Attorneys in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 issues.
- Who’s Who Among Outstanding Americans – 1995-1996 Edition
- Who’s Who In American Law – Seventh and Eighth Editions
- Who’s Who In Executives and Professionals – 1998-1999 Edition
San Antonio Police Department Certificate of Appreciation for Work With Vice and Narcotics Units
Latino American Who’s Who – 2012
Listed as one of “SAN ANTONIO’S BEST ATTORNEYS” in Scene in SA Magazine, August 2005, August 2006, July 2009, June 2010, July 2011 June/July 2012, July 2013, July 2014, July 2015, July 2016 (Criminal Defense, DWI and White Collar Crime), July 2017 and 2018 issues polling San Antonio Attorneys to rate their peers.
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Texas DWI Lawyers
Federal Bar Association – San Antonio Chapter
Mexican American Bar Association – San Antonio and National Chapters
- April 13, 2004 Mentor for Fox Tech High School at Mentor Day at the U. S. Courthouse
State Bar of Texas
- Penal Code and Criminal Procedure Committee – 1994
- International Relations Committee – 1996
- College of the State Bar of Texas – sustaining member
Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas
- Sustaining Member since 1995.
San Antonio Bar Association
- Speakers Bureau – 1992
- County Courts at Law Committee – 1993
- Citizenship and Program Committee – 1994
- Criminal Law & Procedure Committee – 1997-1998, 2012
- County Courts Committee – 1999-2000, 2009 – 2013
- District Courts Committee – 2009 – 2013
National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals,
- San Antonio Chapter General Counsel 2003-2012 Terms
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- San Antonio Bar Foundation
- San Antonio Young Lawyers Association
- Bill of Rights Program – 1993
- Catholic Lawyers Guild, San Antonio Chapter
- Texas District and County Attorneys Association
Jessica Lerma became licensed in the state of Texas in 2007.
*This section is currently under construction.*